Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2018

The Twisted Ones by Scott Cawthon & Kyra Breed-Wrisley

Author: Scott Cawthon & Kyra Breed-Wrisley
Publisher: Scholastic
Date of publication: June 2017

The highly anticipated sequel to the bestselling Five Nights at Freddy's: The Silver Eyes.

It's been a year since the horrific events at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, and Charlie is just trying to move on. Even with the excitement of a new school and a fresh start, she's still haunted by nightmares of a masked murderer and four gruesome animatronic puppets. Charlie thinks her ordeal is over, but when a series of bodies are discovered near her school bearing wounds that are disturbingly familiar she finds herself drawn back into the world of her father's frightening creations. Something twisted is hunting Charlie, and this time if it finds her, it's not letting her go.


The Twisted Ones is the second book in the "Five Nights at Freddy's" series.  It's based on the video game of the same name.  The story picks up months after the events of the first book, The Silver Eyes.  This time around, Charlie has started college and is trying to put her life back together.  Things are going great until people start turning up dead around camp.

I enjoyed this sequel a lot.  Even though the characters are in college, it was a clean and only mildly bloody.  As the title hints to, there is a twist in this one.  I'm not going to spoil it.  This storyline was definitely a lot creepier than the first book.  The final third of the story was fast paced and actually kind of scary for a middle grade/YA horror story. I'm not sure I could look at little kids statues the same way again after reading this book.  

My biggest complaint is that there weren't a lot of answers as to what was going on in this one. I have a few questions lingering in my mind. It ends on a cliffhanger, which is frustrating.  I hope there is another one coming out this summer.  I want to know what happens next.

2 comments:

SavingsInSeconds said...

My students love the FNAF books! My own kids aren't allowed to play the game because the premise just seems so weird and creepy to me.

Kari Boardman said...

The first game in the series isn't that scary.